The School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences traces its origin to 1941 with the initial creation of allied health sciences degrees through the IU School of Medicine.
In 1959, the Division of Allied Health Sciences was formed. In 1960, authority was established to grant Bachelor of Science degrees to those students who successfully completed the curriculum in four allied health programs.
Since then, additional baccalaureate programs as well as new programs at the associate and graduate levels have been created. In 1967, the Division of Allied Health Sciences participated in the planning and formation of the Association of Schools of Allied Health Sciences, a national professional society.
In April 1991, the IU Trustees granted school status to the School of Allied Health Sciences. In 2002 the School of Allied Health Sciences was part of a campus restructure to better align resources in support of the allied health sciences degrees.
The School of Allied Health Sciences would focus solely on graduate degrees in health and rehabilitation science disciplines. The undergraduate allied health sciences degrees migrated to other academic units on the IUPUI campus.
In June 2003 the IU Trustees approved a name change to the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences.
The Indianapolis campus of Indiana University is accredited by the Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA). The next accreditation review for the institution is scheduled for 2022.