Formal academic attire is required for all graduates participating in Commencement. Our Commencement partner, Herff Jones, will begin to take orders in late December. Check in often for updated information.
Cap and Gown Information
Rent your cap and gown
Doctoral hooding instructions
- During robing and lineup, you will receive one blank name card to fill out. Please fill out the card with your name. The announcer will use your card to introduce you during the ceremony. If you think the announcer might have difficulty pronouncing your name, please include phonetic spellings.
- When the chancellor calls your school forward, stand with your faculty mentor and follow the Commencement marshals to platforms in front of the stage. If you do not have a faculty mentor, you will be hooded by Commencement marshals. Only members of the IUPUI faculty may hood doctoral candidates.
- During the processional, drape your hood over your left arm and carry your name card in your right hand. You will climb several steps to the stage. Please contact us if you have any difficulty climbing stairs.
- When it is your turn, give your name card to the announcer and cross the stage. You will shake hands with the president, the chancellor, the dean of the University Graduate School, and the dean of the school in which you are completing your degree.
- When you leave the stage, you will be hooded by your mentor or by a faculty marshal.
- For the hooding, please remove your cap and face away from your mentor or marshal, who will place the hood over your head.
- Once your hooding is complete, you and your mentor may return to your seats.
How do I get my honor cord?
Honor cords are distributed by the schools prior to IUPUI Commencement. Some schools choose to distribute honor cords on the morning of Commencement Sunday. Check with your school contact(s) to learn where and when to pick up your honor cords.
Fourragères and medallions
Students who are graduating with Distinction, High Distinction, and Highest Distinction are entitled to wear fourragères: cream and crimson cords for IU graduates, black and gold for Purdue graduates. The fourragères are provided by the university as a gift to the student.
Students who are graduating with honors may wear gold medallions. The requirements for graduating with honors are different for each school, and honors are awarded by a vote of various faculty members.
Additionally, graduates who have been admitted to any of these nationally recognized honor societies may wear the appropriate cords.
Refunds: To request a refund, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name, order confirmation number, contact phone number, and an email address. You will receive a refund check at the address you provided on your order form, unless you request otherwise. Please allow four weeks for processing.