By the application deadline, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Completion of, or be enrolled in the final year of, a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- No more than one (1) prerequisite remaining for completion by deadline of October 1st (completed by June 15th with a ‘C’ of higher).
- Cumulative GPA of 3.2. GPA will be calculated by PTCAS. All undergraduate and graduate course work is included in cumulative grade point average calculations.
- Math/Science GPA of 3.2 (includes grades earned in chemistry, physics, human anatomy, human physiology, and statistics). GPA will be calculated by PTCAS
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test scores required, submit directly to PTCAS with code: 7692-must take the GRE by August 31st for scores to arrive by deadline.
- Completion of Personal Essay and IU DPT-specific questions included in the PTCAS online application for admission.
- Completion of 40 clinical observation hours or work experience submitted in the PTCAS online application for admission. Must be from both inpatient and outpatient settings. A minimum of 20 hours is required in each setting, though additional hours are encouraged.
- Applicants must submit a Prerequisite Completion Form.
Prior to entering the DPT Degree Program, each student must also complete the following prerequisite courses:
- Statistics (must include study of inferential statistics) (1 semester)
- Human Anatomy (1 semester with lab) OR Human Anatomy & Physiology I with lab
- Human Physiology (1 semester with lab) OR Human Anatomy & Physiology II with lab
- General Chemistry (2 semesters with labs)
- General Physics (2 semesters with labs)
- Introductory Psychology (1 semester)
- Human Lifespan Development (must include study of birth to death) (1 semester)
The statistics course must include both descriptive and inferential statistics. The chemistry course must be inorganic focused.
Each prerequisite course must be at a level for science majors and must be at least 3 semester credit hours or equivalent quarter hours and be completed with a C letter grade at minimum.
If offered admission to the DPT program, Medical Terminology is also required and must be demonstrated by:
- Formal course work, or
- Online instruction with certificate of completion
Please consult with an undergraduate academic advisor for appropriate courses and semester sequence.
- Online courses are acceptable EXCEPT science courses with labs
- Dual credit courses are acceptable if recorded on a college transcript with a grade.
- Any AP course with a score of 3 or higher will be accepted to satisfy a prerequisite requirement.
- Student may retake up to fifteen (15) credit hours of prerequisites. The higher grade will be used to compute prerequisite GPA but all grades will be used to compute cumulative GPA.
- Applicants who previously matriculated in any physical therapy program in the United States are not eligible for admissions into the IU DPT Program