Valerie A. Strunk, PT, DPT
Director of Clinical Education and Senior Lecturer
Education & Training
- University of Indianapolis BS in Biology
- University of Indianapolis MS in Physical Therapy
- College of St. Scholastica, Doctor of Physical Therapy
- APTA Level I Credentialed CI
- APTA Level II Credentialed CI
Research & Clinical Interests
- Outcomes of student learning and engagement through innovative teaching methods,specifically the Integrated Longitudinal Case-Based Learning model pioneered at IU DPT.
- The impact of Physical Therapist training on the development of empathy in PT students.
- Alternative models of clinical education delivery, specifically integrated clinical education and clinical education specialty electives.
Honors & Awards
- 2010 Indiana University School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2010 Indiana APTA Emerging Leader Award
- 2010 IUPUI Assessment Grant recipient: Assessment of an Integrative Longitudinal Case-Based Learning Model as a Curriculum Strategy to Enhance Teaching and Learning
- 2011 Feitelberg Journal Founders’ Award
- 2011 Curriculum Enhancement Grant recipient: Curricular Enhancement through Integrated Clinical Education
- 2012 IUPUI Assessment Grant: Assessment of Instructional Collaboration Using the Integrated Longitudinal Case-Based Learning Model to Enhance Teaching and Learning
- 2014 IUPUI Assessment Grant recipient: Translating Classroom Knowledge to Entry-Level Clinical Practice using an Integrated Longitudinal Case-Based Learning Model
- 2016 Appointee to the Integrated Clinical Education Work Panel of the American Council of Academic Physical Therapy
- 2016 Curriculum Enhancement Grant recipient: Creation of Case-Series Rounds Courses for Enhancement of Clinical Decision Making and Interdisciplinary Interactions
- 2016 Nominee for the IUPUI Women’s Leadership Award
- 2017 INAPTA Anthony D. Certo Award
- 2017 Indiana University School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences Sustained Excellence in Teaching Award
- P510 Integrated Clinical Education I
- P511 Clinical Decision Making and Professionalism in Physical Therapy
- P520 Integrated Clinical Education II
- P532 Ethical and Legal Issues in Physical Therapy
- P599 Clinical Education I
- P620 Integrated Clinical Education II
- P695 Clinical Education II
- P696 Clinical Education III
- P697 Clinical Education IV
- P699 Clinical Elective
- Currently practices acute care Physical Therapy in a Level I Trauma Hospital in downtown Indianapolis.
- Has held a clinical practice position in inpatient acute and OP care settings in a large metropolitan hospital system in Minneapolis which was a Certified Stroke Center.
- Has held a clinical practice position in the pediatric OP and early intervention/home-based settings.
- Has held a clinical practice position in the home care setting.
- Loghmani MT, Bayliss AJ, Strunk V, Altenburger P. An Integrative Longitudinal Case-Based Learning Model as a Curriculum Strategy to Enhance Teaching and Learning. J Phys Ther Ed. 2011;25(2):42-50.
- Bayliss AJ, Strunk V. Measurement of Empathy Changes During a Physical Therapist’s Education and Beyond. J Phys Ther Ed. 2015: 29(2):6-12.